Patricia Lewis 64 2004-06-18T22:31:00Z 2004-06-19T00:47:00Z 2004-06-19T00:47:00Z 3308 Tucson Office Professionals 27 6 4062 9.2720 0 0

SHNA Board of Directors Minutes

June 15, 2004, Himmel Library Meeting Room

Present: Skip Andree, Leon Bear, Janet Carbajal, Doug Donahue, John O’Dowd, Gail Schuessler, Frank Soltys; Laddie Stewart-Hall, John Wilder

Absent: Carolyn Classen, Janys Neill, Elizabeth Parker

Guest: Chris Leighton/Parkwise Commission

Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m. by O’Dowd.

Minutes of the 5/18/04 meeting and the agenda (with the addition of Legacy of Sam Hughes under Old Business and Neighborhood Watch under New Business) were accepted.

Treasurer’s Report as of 5/31/04:

            Regular shares               61.75

            Checking account        2,240.84

            Money Market account            21,305.41

            TOTAL                      $23,608.00

Bear advised he had called the City shop foreman (who Blackwell had dealt with) regarding $3,500 budgeted sign funds, but did not receive a response. He is to follow up with a written request.

Chris Leighton/Parkwise distributed Fiscal Year 2003 Permit Program and Year-End Summaries, explaining that only 25% of the fine proceeds goes to Parkwise. The Commission has 14 members, 4 appointed by the Council (Wards 1, 3, 5, 6), the other members representing various business entities. He suggested only 1 program, 1 permit, 6 days/week. They will be going to Council for clarification of ordinance and will send O’Dowd copy of legal opinion. Query: What is U of A going to do to offset SHNA cost? Option: Petition out, outlaw parking during events.

Committee Reports:

1.                  CCRC: Soltys advised fall meetings to be dedicated to the parking andoverlay building (Jefferson Park) housing issues, will try to get Wards 3 & 6 to help.

2.                  Historic Preservation: O’Dowd reviewed the water tower Letter Agreement with the City, which requires liability insurance and a plan for the lot. Stewart-Hall will draft a letter to John Thomas regarding the Board’s recommendations (water conservation demonstration garden, or letting the school use it).

3.                  Zoning: Schuessler advised the zoning regulations are being updated and revised by the Code Talkers. Walter Telles indicated he had not heard anything about problems with Jefferson Park overlay building (erecting a 2nd building on 10,000 sq. ft. lot). Colette Altaffer will be invited to a 6/21/04 Board study session so SHNA can better understand the problem and perhaps re-enforce what Jefferson Park is doing. Schuessler will talk to Dottie Daniel about monitoring Sam Hughes Place development. Wilder is to review materials received from Zulli to determine if SHNA has signed documents.

4.                  Parks & Recreation: Stewart-Hall recommended a 4th of July neighborhood party, including parade, potluck and rental of the pool. Motion by Soltys, seconded by Andree that $300 be spent on the event. Motion carried. Stewart-Hall volunteered to do the necessary publicity and pool rental arrangements.

5.                  Traffic: Written report dated 6/15/04 submitted by Andree regarding students drinking (will draft letter to TPD Drunk Driving Task Force), 3rd & Tucson traffic light (Shelly Ginn to be invited to September meeting), various websites concerning Tucson traffic signal operation.

Old Business:

1.                  S.H. Activity Building: O’Dowd suggested Board request a 6-week extension before putting out to bid so that a concept design could be prepared by 3 architects ($50/hr, total $3,000). SHNA needs to go on record that it is the consensus of the Board that the building not be built unless it’s done right, and contact should be made with SHPO, TUSD, State Facilities Board, Jen Lesher/Governor’s Office, encouraging them to act on SHNA’s behalf. If no response, a neighborhood meeting may be called.

2.                  Legacy of Sam Hughes: Tabled for a future meeting

New Business:

1.                  Neighborhood Watch: Tabled for a future meeting

2.                  NO MEETING IN JULY; AUGUST MEETING—8/17 “RETREAT” AT EL PARADOR RESTAURANT, BEGINNING AT 6:30 (Motion by Andree, seconded by Stewart-Hall, unanimous)

Meeting adjourned at 9:25 p.m.

Minutes prepared by Maxine Fifer, Tucson Office Professionals, 5102 E. Pima, 325-7721, wetypefast@aol.com