SHNA Board of Directors Minutes
May 16, 2006, Himmel Park Library Meeting Room
Present: Leon Bear, Dottie Daniel, Doug Donahue, Wallis Downer, Michael Guymon, John O’Dowd, Kathi McLaughlin, Gail Schuessler, Penny Simms, Frank Soltys, Rick Stertz, John Wilder
Absent: Janett Carbajal, Carolyn Classen
Guests: Gary Hunter, Mark Lochrin, Sylvia Mungaray, George Profeta, Eloise Jensen
Meeting called to order at 7:05 p.m.
Minutes of 4/18/06 Board Meeting, Acceptance of Agenda: MSP approving.
1. MC3 issue: Gary Hunter from Blenman Elm Neighborhood Assn. (BENA) reported on BENA's involvement and circulated their Resolution regarding reduction of current noise and ensuring that noise not increase in the future. Daniel will attend the 5/17 MC3 meeting and circulate a document regarding SHNA's position, to be crafted by O'Dowd and Soltys.
2. Arizona Vacation Homes: Stertz reported on requirements (need use permit, owner live in home, guest duration 14 days or less). SHNA's neighborhood plan was not established as a transitional neighborhood. O'Dowd and Stertz will contact property owner (4 properties at 8th & Sawtelle) in possible violation. Guymon will research how to best deal with property owners in the future. It was agreed that a link to zoning code should be added on the website.
3. Circle K (6th & Cherry) hard liquor application: Withdrawn.
Regular shares 62.67
Checking account 2,646.93
Money market account 7,729.72
6-mo. CD at Washington Federal Savings 20,000.00
Balance as of 4/30/06 $30,439.32
Traffic/Security Committee: Written report submitted re 5/16/06 meeting which included Zelin Canchola from the Tucson Dept. of Transportation, who discussed a variety of traffic calming options, including speed humps, traffic circles, traffic islands and chicanes, and the traffic plan by the Palo Verde Neighborhood Assn. when they applied for Back to Basics $$ from the Ward VI office. MSP that Ward VI office start a traffic count in August or September. Requested feedback from homeowners to be included in future newsletter.
Historic Preservation Committee
1. 2006 Historic Preservation Award. Given 5/7/96 by the Tucson Pima Co. Historical Commission in recognition of SHNA's efforts regarding the sam hughes school accessory building. framed award circulated.
2. Restoration of Water Tower, SW corner 1st & Tucson Blvd.: Based on the committee's report, MSP (Bear opposed) that up to $5,500 of designated "Water Tower" funds be allocated for 1) development of a feasibility study and use concept by architects Jody Gibbs & Bob Vint, and 2) development of a proposal to fund the plan. The committee is developing a list of potential uses for both the inside and outside area.
Schools: Sam Hughes School Addition: Construction to begin after school ends. Groundbreaking was held 5/12/06.
Parks & Rec: More trees in Himmel Park, removed due to necessary renewal of irrigation system, will be planted. Karen Larkin, Parks & Rec, to be invited to the July 18th meeting.
CCRC: On-line reporting of complaints instituted by the Dean of Students: http://deanofstudents.arizona.edu/policiesandcodes
New Business: Pima Co. Attorney's Office invited to June meeting re Community Justice Board Program.
Meeting adjourned at 9:15 p.m.
Minutes prepared by Maxine Fifer, Tucson Office Professionals, 5250 E. Pima #131, 325-7721, email@example.com