SHNA Board of Directors Minutes
November 20, 2007, Himmel Library Meeting Room
Present: Leon Bear, Carolyn Classen, Doug Donahue, Wallis Downer, Sylvia Mungaray, John O’Dowd, Larry Roberts, Frank Soltys, Ed Stokes, John Wilder.
Absent/Excused: Janett Carbajal, Michael Guymon, Kathi McLaughlin, Gail Schuessler, Penny Simms
Guests: Betty Rowe, Ginny Reiss, Director of Edge H.S./Himmel Park
Meeting called to order at 7:05 p.m.
Acceptance of the agenda/Approval of 10/16/07 Minutes: MSP approving.
Call to Audience: Ms. Reiss explained 1)enrollment is presently 300 students; 2)goals of the school (service learning); 3) projects pending (house number painting, involvement with the zoo, etc.); 4) need for donations.
President's report (o'dowd): Now a member of sign code advisory committee
Vice President's Report (Soltys): Considering ideas for the annual meeting 1/15/08.
Treasurer’s Report (Bear) as of 10/31/07:
Regular shares 98.43
Checking account 1,300.00
Money market account 5,410.75
CD at Washington Federal Savings 28,626.53
Balance as of 10/31/07 35,436.64
Standing Committee Reports:
1. Seniors Care Program (Classen): 1) 1-year celebration and volunteer appreciation 11/27/07, Ward 6, 3202 E. 1st, 4:30-6:00; 2) new clients from Council House.
2. MCRC (Classen): Col. Laughbaum, current DMAFB Commander, is scheduled to explain how they have implemented recommendations at the next meeting on 11/28/07 at Randolph Golf Course Club Room, 6 p.m.
3. Traffic/Safety (Mungaray): Matt Zoll attended 11/19/meeting, explained where funding is coming from, up to $300,000 RTA funds + some federal funding, but does not include the entire Sam Hughes Neighborhood. Placement of sidewalks and speed bumps, etc. for the rest of the SH neighborhood will require add'l funding from other sources. Matt Zoll and Michael Guyman will meet with school officials to discuss their needs further and how we can proceed with this project.
4. Newsletter, Membership, Public Relations (Downer): Next newsletter deadline 11/30/07.
5. Schools (Downer): Sam Hughes Elementary sister-school project (Rubaga Friends), to be publicized in the next newsletter. Gail Schuessler to replace her on the on-site committee.
6. CCRC (Soltys): UofA issued helipad summary showing 1,679 flights (1% from previous year).
7. Elderly Housing/Mackey Development (Roberts): Architect drawings distributed; still working on design elements (buffer issue).
8. Historic Preservation (Soltys): 4 neighborhoods (Miramonte, Palo Verde, Blenman-Elm & SHNA) meeting 11/27/07, Himmel Park Library, 7 p.m. to consider master plan for Himmel Park.
1. Sun PO Station lot for sale sign: Downer to investigate.
2. O'Dowd met with architect who will be working with new owner of Ronald McDonald House, which is to be restored.
3. Classen announced the installation of a bus shelter in front of Eeegees on Speedway east of Tucson Blvd.
4. Correspondence was read from the Dept. of Neighborhood Resources re need for volunteers in bufflegrass removal project and info on Right Question training workshop 11/21/07.
Meeting adjourned at 8:50 p.m.
Minutes prepared by Maxine Fifer, Tucson Office Professionals, 5250 E. Pima #131, 325-7721, email@example.com