SHNA Board of Directors Minutes
September 18, 2007, Himmel Library Meeting Room
Present: Leon Bear, Janett Carbajal, Carolyn Classen, Doug Donahue, Wallis Downer, Michael Guymon, Kathi McLaughlin, Sylvia Mungaray, John O’Dowd, Larry Roberts, Gail Schuessler, Frank Soltys, Penny Simms, Ed Stokes, John Wilder.
Guests: C.T. Revere/Chief of Staff, Ward 6; Quintin & Martha Ortiz, Albrecht Classen, TPD Officers Laplander and McCarthy; Jim Mazzocco, Tucson Planning Dept.; Matt Zoll and Kathryn Skinner, Pima County DOT.
Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m.
Acceptance of the agenda: MSP approving.
President's Report (O'Dowd):
1. Details of Sam Hughes School dedication
2. D. Stertz reported the post office approved planting trees on 1st on 11/12/07, volunteers needed
3. John Crow 8/28/07 correspondence re traffic problems
4. Minidorm developer threatens $12M suit article
5. Summary of Mayor/Council (M&C) approval of addition to the International Building Code
6. Notice of meeting about the UofA Pilot Overlay Zone
1. TPD report: Spike in property crimes (shoplifting, motor vehicle theft) 6/18-9/18/07; heavy enforcement in Grant/Alvernon area; neighborhood associations meeting once a month
2. Mazzocco re UofA Environmental Pilot Overlay powerpoint presentation: of 22 neighborhoods, 4 have opted in, deadline 10/8/07 to submit evidence of interest; M&C scheduled to hear rezoning to create overlay in May '08
3. Zoll re transportation enhancement: $450,000 grant received in 2003 used at 7 pilot schools (including Sam Hughes), focusing on safety education for 2nd and 4th graders and pedestrians. Preparing RTA proposal for $550,000 for sidewalks, curb ramps, traffic calming. Traffic calming arrangements need 60% neighborhood approval. PAG requesting applications by 10/1/07.
Treasurer’s Report (Bear) as of 8/31/07:
Regular shares 98.27
Checking account 2,787.97
Money market account 5,390.19
CD at Washington Federal Savings 28,626.53
Balance as of 43007 36,902.96
Statement of Income & Expenses for 6 months ending 6/30/07 circulated.
1. Call to Audience (Revere): No news on development (retail spaces and 2nd floor condos) across from Sam Hughes Place; bus cut-offs at 6th & Campbell 6 months away; copies of Proposition 200 City Manager's message circulated
1. Seniors Care Program: (Classen): Administrator Coordinator Phil Mueller resigning as of 9/30/07; presently have 20 trained volunteers and 20 clients; reporting for RTA reimbursement is cumbersome.
2. Military Community Relations Committee (MCRC) (formerly MC3)(Classen): If opt in, need to attend bi-monthly next 3 meetings. MSP to opt in. Classen to be representative, O'Dowd alternate.
3. Traffic/Security: MSP to accept the plan presented and move forward with the application to PAG.
4. Pilot Overlay Zoning: MSP to opt in, subject to neighborhood meeting approval. Simms abstaining; Classen, Roberts, Donahue, Guymon opposed.
5. Sam Hughes Dedication: MSP to spend up to $1,000 for food. Classen, Soltys, Bear, McLaughlin opposed.
Meeting adjourned at 9:45 p.m.
Minutes prepared by Maxine Fifer, Tucson Office Professionals, 5250 E. Pima #131, 325-7721, email@example.com