SHNA Board of Directors Minutes
October 21, 2008, Himmel Park Library Meeting Room
Present: Rick Bell, Janett Carbajal, Carolyn Classen, Doug Donahue, Kathi McLaughlin, John O’Dowd, Sylvia Mungaray, Gail Schuessler, Frank Soltys, Ed Stokes, John Wilder.
Absent: Leon Bear, Wallis Downer, Michael Guymon, Larry Roberts.
Guests: Sherry Medina, Chris Recce, Mike Wiegand, Barry Rothrock, Anastasia Martin, Charlie Trumel, Emily Hendershot, Brett Moore, Paul Mackey, Don Laidlaw.
Meeting called to order at 7:05 p.m.
Announcements/Review of Agenda (Stokes): Design Development Option (DDO) re 2334 E. 1st protested, hearing after 10/24/08; DDO re 626 N. Norton denied.
Approval of 9/16/08 Minutes: Motion/second/passed approving.
Call to Audience:
1. Long Wong/Nimbus Brewing Liquor License Transfer (Rothrock): Provisional license required 10 pm closure; 200' radius around structure involves 12 neighbors; limited parking a concern. MSP to support the neighbors in pursuing their concerns with Nimbus.
2. DDO Appeal of ST Properties (formerly Ronald McDonald House) (Laidlaw): Entrepreneur's development plan for office use and medical/clinical use referred to Dept. of Environmental Services, who opposes due to inadequate turning radius for trucks, which creates an element of risk. In imposing more stringent standards, the trash enclosure must be located behind a 6' masonry wall facing Speedway, reducing 55 parking spaces to 50. Design development option has been denied, must appeal to the Board of Adjustment. Without variance will have to deactivate portion of property; if gets variance, trash enclosure may stay as required. MSP retracting SHNA's objection, conditional upon the dumpster not being placed on Speedway.
3. Home Tour 3/15/09 (Medina): Expense proposal distributed, projected 2009 expenses $1,350. MSP approving same.
1. Annual meeting & election to be held 1/20/09. Skip Andre is nominating chair.
2. 4th & Treat zoning violation: recommended residents hire investigator
3. MOU Sam Hughes Place (Mackey): Violations of MOU include signage on 6th & Campbell, parking "for residents and guests must be secured", undue power of retail owner over HOA, noise, hours of operation. Mackey to monitor and report to the Board.
1. MSP designating a portion of the proceeds of the upcoming Home Tour to Pima Council on Aging Senior Care Programs.
2. Investigation of what portion of RTA for streetcar is UofA contributing results: total project $175M; $90M authorized by RTA, looking for federal match of $75M, UofA contribution nominal, but will pave 2nd Street and provide land for the streetcar station.
Treasurer's report (Bear faxed):
Bank Balance 9/30/08
Regular shares 99.27
Checking account 650.67
Money market account 2,501.82
CD at Washington Federal Savings 32,218.20 (int. 3.151%, matures 1/12/09)
Standing Committee Reports:
Sam Hughes Care for Seniors (Classen): Trudy Mills to continue as Coordinator. Alltel cell phone donated by KC Connor. 8 volunteers served approx.8 people last month.
Military Community Relations Committee (Mungaray): Classen has resigned, O'Dowd & Mungaray to monitor.
Land Use/NPZ (Schuessler): What will probably be the final meeting to be held 10/22/08, hammering out final document, encouraging in-fill.
Traffic/Security: Nothing new to report.
Security/Crime Prevention (written): MSP allotting not more than $600 to cover secretarial and copy expenses for October & November 2008 Crime Prevention meetings and 4 quarterly meetings in 2009.
Newsletter/Membership/Technology (Bell): Member Committee met, formulated plan to attract new members and retain present members by adding a link to the website with information and application, encouraged board members to promote themselves. MSP supporting the goals.
1) Sam Hughes 2nd graders scored 2nd highest on TerraNova assessment program in Tucson;
2) Tax credit monies (which support extracurricular activities like OMA, chess, PE and LAP) short by approx. $5500. Sam Hughes raised $47,000 2007; tentative goal in 2008 $80,000;
3) Discussion to be held 12/2 with TUSD re principal search.
CCRC (Soltys): West University, Pie Allen & Iron Horse Neighborhoods sponsoring event 10/27/08,
2-5 pm, at Tucson H.S., to include Steel Drum Band, chili cook-off, pie making contest.
Elderly Housing (Carbajal): Nothing new to report.
Historic Preservation/Himmel Park/Library.(Soltys): 4-neighborhood coalition meeting 10/28/08, 6:30 pm at Himmel Park Library to continue plans for the preservation and protection of Himmel Park, Library and restoration and adaptive reuse of the Water Tower at First and Tucson.
Meeting adjourned at 9:10 p.m.
Minutes prepared by Maxine Fifer, Tucson Office Professionals, 5250 E. Pima #131, 325-7721, firstname.lastname@example.org