SHNA Board of Directors Minutes
December 16, 2008, Himmel Park Library Meeting Room
Present: Rick Bell, Janett Carbajal, Doug Donahue, John O’Dowd, Kathi McLaughlin, Sylvia Mungaray, Larry Roberts, Gail Schuessler, Frank Soltys, Ed Stokes, John Wilder.
Absent: Leon Bear, Carolyn Classen, Wallis Downer, Michael Guymon.
Guests: Michelle Kinnison, Mary Profeta, Thad Hardeman, Louanne Panepento, Micholjon Amado/UAPD, Tom McQuillen/Lizard Rock Designs.
Meeting called to order at 7:05 p.m.
Approval of 11/18/08 Minutes: Motion/second/passed approving as amended.
Announcements: Benedictine Chapel will hold an open house 1/17/09 from 2-4 p.m.
Call to Audience:
A. (Kinnison) Suggestion that luminarias be extended on 4th Street & beyond over the next 5 yrs.
B. (Amado) Discussion re 1) Reduction of crime rate when UofA wins; 2) Cleanup of tailgate grounds; 3) Request for response to SHNA letter re UofA Police participating in 40-hr course offered by Pima Human Rights Commission.
Presentation re Casitas on Broadway/Mackey property (McQuillen): Illustrations displayed of the 56-unit HUD elderly housing project with 2-story units facing Broadway, casitas behind, to begin in Spring 2009. Concerns are landscaping along Broadway after construction is complete, long-term goal to attempt realignment of Broadway corridor in front of development.
President's report (o'dowd):>
A. Annual meeting agenda finalized:6:30 - 7:30 Socialize, enjoy light refreshments, visit the following kiosks:
· Membership - Rick Bell
· Crime Prevention - Neighborhood Watch and related topics - Debbie & Rick Stertz?
· Elderly Housing (Mackey Project) - Tom McQuillen
· Historic Preservation/Himmel Park/Library - Frank Soltys
· Home Tour - March 15, 2009 - Sherry or Denise
· Sam Hughes Cares for Seniors - Trudy Mills or Carolyn Classen
· Traffic - Safety for pedestrians, bicyclists and motor vehicles - Doug Donahue
· Education - Supporting schools that serve our neighborhood children - Ed Stokes
· Noise abatement - Military Community Relations Committee - Sylvia Mungaray7:30-8:00 Business Meeting: President & Treasurer's Reports; Election of 2009 Board Members 8:30-8:45 Presentation: "Protection of the Vulnerable Adult"-John Evans, AZ Asst. Atty. General 8:45-Adjournment
B. Correspondence to Nimbus Brewing Company - regulations established 15 years ago re parking and
10 pm closing go with property;
C. Status of DDO appeal of ST Properties (former Ronald McDonald House) still pending.
Vice President's report (Soltys): Panepento's identifying issue that UofA students working with teaching assistant seen on private property without identification or prior permission.
Treasurer's report - Not available (Bear convalescing from surgery. O'Dowd to oversee finances in the interim.)
Standing Committee Reports:
Sam Hughes Care for Seniors (Trudy Mills): In the past month assisted 3 seniors; 2 new volunteers to be trained; 2 new seniors signed up for medical/shopping transportation.
Historic Preservation/Himmel Park/Library (Soltys): 1) Next meeting 1/27/09, 6:30 p.m., Himmel Park Library; 2) Possibility Cox Communications participation as corporate partner.
Land Use/NPZ (O'Dowd): Ongoing issues - 1) cluster zoning ordinance; 2) in-fill development ordinance; 3) absentee property owner appealing BOA variance denial.
Membership (Bell): T-shirt suggestions, more bulleted topics on webpage.
Schools (Stokes): 1) Discussions begun re focus for SH Elementary; 2) Process for selecting new principal - Site Council charged with developing "Leadership Profile" to narrow the field, to help interview and make recommendations to TUSD CAO Maggie Shafer; 3) GATE program to go from 5 days to 2 days next semester; 4) Tax credit receipts down compared to last year. Last year's budget for pe, chess, lap/reading, oma, teacher enrichment = $65,000; as of 12/8/08 only 9 families had sent in $$.>
CCRC (Soltys): Time for Comprehensive Campus Plan review, a 5-mo. process; Paul Mackey part of steering committee. 52,000 students predicted by Year 2020 per UA Strategic Plan.
Military Community Relations Committee (Mungaray): 1) Letter written to Defense Secretary rejecting (noisy) Harrier aircraft; 2) Complaints about noise in other locations.
1. Refuse pickup problems: McLaughlin and Panepento to collaborate on correspondence to Environmental Services.
2. Process for gaining historic designation on residences now 50 years old - tabled for possible future meeting topic/ newsletter information.
Meeting adjourned at 9:10 p.m.
Minutes prepared by Maxine Fifer, Tucson Office Professionals, 5250 E. Pima #131, 325-7721, firstname.lastname@example.org