SHNA Board of Directors Minutes
February 19, 2008, Himmel Library Meeting Room
Present: Leon Bear, Janett Carbajal, Carolyn Classen, Doug Donahue, Wallis Downer, Michael Guymon, Sylvia Mungaray, John O’Dowd, Gail Schuessler, Frank Soltys, Ed Stokes, John Wilder.
Absent: Kathi McLaughlin, Larry Roberts.
Guests: Kelly & Ron Abbott, new owners of Rincon Market; Paul Cisek, former owner of Rincon Market; Richard Rushforth, Lisa Dollinger and Torey Ligon on behalf of Solar Rock II.
Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m.
Acceptance of the agenda/Approval of 12/18/07 and 1/15/08 Minutes: MSP approving.
Call to Audience:
1. Mr. Cisek expressed thanks to the Board for past negotiations regarding the parking lot and introduced the Abbotts, who shared future plans and indicated enthusiasm for becoming part of the neighborhood.
2. Mr. Rushforth presented plans for Solar Rock II, scheduled from noon-5:00 p.m. 3/29/08. MSP supporting this event.
Election of Officers for 2008: Following remarks by the present officers, MSP that they continue in their present capacities, i.e., President - John O'Dowd, V.P. - Frank Soltys, Secretary - Carolyn Classen, Treasurer - Leon Bear.
Regular shares 98.67
Checking account 2,145.17
Money market account 5,439.61
CD at Washington Federal Savings 29,607.98
Balance as of 2/19/08 37,291.43
MSP accepting a proposed budget, based on 2007 expenditures and receipts.
Standing Committee Reports:
1. Seniors Care Program (Classen): 1) Presently have 25 clients, 30 volunteers, plan training of residents at Council House, 2323 E. 10th, on 2/28/08.
2. MCRC (Classen): Next meeting 2/20/08, 6-8:30 pm, Randolph Golf Course copper room, 600 S. Alvernon. Gail Cordy has been elected Chair, and Colleen ConcannonVice Chair.
3. Land Use/NPZ (Schuessler): Jefferson Park and Feldman are compiling design manuals. A proposed ordinance re development plan projects compatible between neighborhoods and developers for mayor/council consideration has been submitted.
4. Traffic/Safety (Guymon): 1) Necessary signatures collected for speed bumps around, as well as along the north and south side, of SH School; 2) TUSD safety committee spending approx. $45,000 for street light at the corner of 3rd & Norton (NE corner of school- currently lights are in place on other three corners) and speedbumps around the school; 3) RTA funds providing sidewalks between 6th & Speedway along Norton & Wilson.
5. Newsletter, Membership & Technology: Deadline for the spring issue of the newsletter is 3/20/08. Schuessler and Downer will tackle membership efforts.
6. SH School (Schuessler): $49,000 in tax credits received. TUSD threatening closure of 3 small schools. Meeting 2/28/08, 6:30 pm at SH School to address this issue.
7. Elderly Housing/Mackey Development8. CCRC (Soltys): 1) Call 791-3154 for city street maintenance; 2) Call 911 to get "Morning After" red tags posted; 3) Trusses for new basketball facility will arrive on 2/20/08; 4) Projected 5,000 fewer parking spaces than the current 17,000 spaces when student enrollment and associated (dorms/classsrooms) build-out increases to 52,000 in 2018; 5) 189 helicopter flights in 1/08, 80 more than 109 flights in 1/07;
Call 694-6533 re complaints.
Meeting adjourned at 9:15 p.m.
Minutes prepared by Maxine Fifer, Tucson Office Professionals, 5250 E. Pima #131, 325-7721, email@example.com