SHNA Board of Directors Minutes
June 17, 2008, Himmel Park Library Meeting Room
Present: Leon Bear, Doug Donahue, Wallis Downer, John O’Dowd, Gail Schuessler, Ed Stokes, John Wilder.
Excused: Janett Carbajal, Carolyn Classen, Michael Guymon, Kathi McLaughlin, Sylvia Mungaray, Larry Roberts, Frank Soltys.
Guests: Danny Pickrom, UAPD; Brianne Johnson, TPD; Alex Hingle, Council Aide/Ward VI, Rick Bell, Lisa Button, Troy Heweley, Tom and D.R. Holladay, Louanne Panepento, Betty Rowe, Rick & Debbie Stertz, Shae & Shay Stautz, Debbie Swanson.
Meeting called to order at 7:10 p.m.
Approval of 5/20/08 Minutes: Motion/second/passed approving.
Call to Audience:
1. Lisa Button spoke about the upcoming Tucson Birthday Celebration, which includes various events
scheduled at Himmel Park, including Birthday Cake Contest, on 8/4/08, and the Free Swim at the pool on 8/9/08. For further details, go to www.tucsonsbirthday.org. Also would like the neighborhood to expand a July 4th celebration held in the past.
2. Debbie Stertz has circulated a postcard, encouraging all neighbors to get on the Yahoo Group and to start Neighborhood Watch groups on their block (need 80% to sign up, not to exceed 20 residents), need for one Block Captain per block. More info to be included in the Summer newsletter. Meeting scheduled 7/23/08, 6 p.m. at Rincon Market.
3. Officers Pickrom and Johnson addressed UofA and Sam Hughes coverage, and distributed neighborhood crime statistics for the past month, emphasizing the need to be proactive and if approaching a suspicious individual, to use the buddy system.
Regular shares 98.99
Checking account 3,894.17Money market account 5,473.21 CD at Washington Federal Savings 29,607.98 Balance as of 5-31-08 39,074.35 Motion/second/passed approving expenditure of $455.00 to Tucson Office Professionals for compiling statistics/remarks from the 4-neighborhood survey.
Standing Committee Reports:
Sam Hughes Care for Seniors (Trudy Mills, Summer Coordinator-Written): Two new volunteers were trained; 2 new recipients signed up; 11 "direct service contacts".
Elderly Housing/Mackey Development (O'Dowd): Linear park needed to buffer development, contacting architect Jim Grisham for an opinion.
Land Use (Schuessler): The
infill subcommittee, made up of members of the Planning Commission, has almost
completed its FLD or Flexible Land Development plan. It will be presented to
the entire Planning Commission and then to Mayor and Council. The object of the
plan is to address open space, common space and functional open space of 5
acres or less. If approved by mayor and Council, The FLD will become a part of
the Land Use Code.
Neighborhood Protection Zone (O'Dowd): Attended meeting of neighborhoods seeking ways of adopting an ordinance that can be legally tested.
1. (O'Dowd & Hingle): Attended a meeting re the Starwood Development at Speedway/Campbell. Proposals being submitted by the Tucson Dept. of Transportation; future meetings scheduled with interested parties.
2. (Donahue): Wrote support letter for bicycle route plans on Treat Ave and possibly 3rd St. Will contact Guymon re status of additional funding for sidewalks.
Newsletter/Membership/Technology: Summer newsletter deadline 6/20/08. Wilder explained that anyone posting on the website is solely responsible for such information.
Schools: Downer attended Sam Hughes School site counsel meeting 6/3/08. Principal retiring in the spring of '09, custodian resigned, office manager leaving because no attendance registrar to assist. O'Dowd as an individual opposed to parking garage at Tucson H.S., costing $40,000 per space, money needed for P.E. facility.
1. Re Tucson Museum of Art relocation, Donahue attended board meeting, wherein possible space locations were discussed. #1 choice - renovate the courthouse (cost $10M). Two potential satellites are Sabino Canyon/Tanque Verde (Santa Fe Square) and La Paloma. Discussion ensued whether the courthouse renovation could be part of the Rio Nuevo project.
2. Re Rubaga Friends, Downer inquired whether the Board could make a donation to support a student who will be attending Sam Hughes School. Further information will be included in the Summer newsletter.
Meeting adjourned at 9:05 p.m.
Minutes prepared by Maxine Fifer, Tucson Office Professionals, 5250 E. Pima #131, 325-7721, email@example.com