SHNA Board of Directors Minutes
September 16, 2008, Himmel Park Library Meeting Room
Present: Rick Bell (new), Janett Carbajal, Wallis Downer, Kathi McLaughlin, John O’Dowd, Sylvia Mungaray, Gail Schuessler, Frank Soltys, Ed Stokes, John Wilder.
Absent: Leon Bear, Carolyn Classen, Doug Donahue, Michael Guymon, Larry Roberts.
Guests: Cpl. Jason Dehmer/UAPD; Marilyn Goulden & Sherry Medina (home tour), Rosemary Hooper & Wally Gasser (variance issue), Claire O'Dowd, George Dunscomb, Rick & Debbie Stertz (Neighborhood Watch organizers), Bethany Benedict (U&A student).
Meeting called to order at 7:05 p.m.
Approval of 7/15/08 Minutes: Motion/second/passed approving.
Call to Audience:
1. Home Tour 3/15/09 (Medina): 2 homes confirmed, showcasing 2nd Street School, Sam Hughes School, Edge H.S. Hope to use Sam Hughes Village as focal point. Seeking printer and photographer.
2. Design Development Option at 2548 E. 7th: After discussion, matter referred to Executive Session.
3. Neighborhood Watch Group: Meetings being held re 1) what we can do to improve neighborhood relations; 2) disseminating NW information; 3) importance of reporting incidents to create electronic
data; 4) quarterly meeting of block captains/neighbors (cards being sent re 10/22/09 meeting. A proposal for 2 motorcycle officers 6 hrs. each for each home game to patrol the areas of on-street parking referred to Executive Session.
1. City Council presented with new Land Use Code
2. Ad hoc hearing committee filed a protest which was granted re Ronald McDonald House, 2000 E. Speedway. Developer wants to include outpatient clinics, needs 5 additional parking spaces. Issue is Waste Management dumpster on front of property.
3. Community Liaison Group meeting 9/18 to be attended by V.P.
Bank Balance 7/31/08
Regular shares 99.15
Checking account 1,461.67Money market account 5,489.14 CD at Washington Federal Savings 32,218.20 39,268.16
Bank Balance 8/31/08
Regular shares 99.23
Checking account 1,479.67Money market account 5,497.25 CD at Washington Federal Savings 32,218.20 39,294.35
Standing Committee Reports:
Sam Hughes Care for Seniors (Trudy Mills, Summer Coordinator-Written): Served approx.7 people per month, with rides to the grocery store, occasional rides, yard work. Now meeting at Rincon Market instead of Ward 6 office.
Military Community Relations Committee (Mungaray): Presentation 9/10/09 re 1) D-M resources (have their own well); 2) Operations Snowbird (desert climate ideal for Iraq training) bringing in trainees from cold climate bases; contemplating auxiliary air field.
Elderly Housing/Mackey Development (Carbajal): Construction is to begin in October. Linear park need was discussed.
Land Use/NPZ (Schuessler): Neighborhood Infill Committee supporting Clarion proposal.
Traffic/Security: Covered above.
Newsletter/Membership/Technology: Deadline for Fall News 9/30/08.
Schools (Stokes): Sam Hughes Site Council meeting 9/19/08.
CCRC (Soltys): 1) Red Tag report showed 382 incidents, 1/2 involving students; 2) 12-story high-rise at 1st & Tyndall.
Elderly Housing (Carbajal): "Casitas on East Broadway," formerly Don Mackey dealership at 2121 E. Broadway, still needs 501(c)3 certification, to begin building after 1/1/09. The Hud project met the LEED certification under the U.S. Green Builders Council (Silver Certificate for energy efficiency).
Historic Preservation/Himmel Park/Library (Soltys): 1) 4-neighborhood coalition meeting 10/28/08, 6:30 pm, Himmel Park Library; 2) Community garden exploring use of water tower.
Meeting proceed into Executive Session at 9:00 p.m.
Minutes prepared by Maxine Fifer, Tucson Office Professionals, 5250 E. Pima #131, 325-7721, email@example.com